THE DEFINITIVE EDITION RELEASE (2018)
The original game loaded in 5 parts as it wasn't possible to develop the game with the Z-80 source code, my assembler, and the object code all at one time in 16K. Instead it was developed in separate parts - each of which loaded into its own section of memory and was developed independently. Once all parts were loaded - the high res screen with title graphics pre-loaded, the level data, the graphics data etc, the main game code section loaded.
Over the years various releases have played about with the game timings - mainly due to them not running at the same speed as the original when used on ZX81 Emulators. Time has passed however and modern emulators now run everything almost perfectly so no need for this nonsense anymore!
This always annoyed me so I spent some time during 2018 putting all this right and doing a one piece remaster. You can download these from this website below. The follow up game Dan's Revenge also suffered from the same fate, so I updated it as well. These new versions have never been publicly released for download before.
They were however included (exclusively) in Kevin Palser's iOS ZX81 emulator. Please do not distribute them with other ZX81 emulators, archive packages etc. They are available only from this website and I retain the copyright on their distribution.
Whats New In This Version?
* All previous ZX81 releases officially retired.
* A new fresh master loaded in from the original Duplicating Master Tapes.
* Nothing modified regarding original game code/play feel/timings etc.
* A new routine added and documented here to allow a one-part load.
* This new routine manages moving memory about but does not interfere with the operation of the game itself and indeed goes to great lengths to leave the machine in the same state as the original 5-part load.
* Documentation updated.